Victim testimonies permanently deleted by child sex abuse inquiry
The Independent Inquiry Into Child Sex Abuse apologised for the loss of submissions made through an online form
Victims of alleged child sex abuse who submitted accounts through the Government's inquiry website were told their testimonies had been deleted because of a technical blunder.
Following a change in the inquiry’s website address, any submissions through an online form between 14 September and October 2 were “instantly and permanently deleted” before reaching staff.
The Independent Inquiry Into Child Sex Abuse (IICSA) apologised for “any inconvenience or distress” and reassured those who shared their experiences that their information had not been put at risk of disclosure.
Those whose submissions have been lost have been asked to resend their information.
The inquiry into historic sex abuse was set up last July but has suffered a number of delays after two previous chairwomen resigned.
Photo: Clara Molden/The Telegraph
It is now being led by New Zealand judge Lowell Goddard, who will receive a £482,000 pay package in salary and allowances.
IICSA said in a statement on its website: "Due to a change in our website address to http://www.iicsa.org.uk on 14 September, any information submitted to the Inquiry between 14 September and 2 October through the online form on the Share your experience page of our website, was instantly and permanently deleted before it reached our engagement team.
"We are very sorry for any inconvenience or distress this will cause and would like to reassure you that no information was put at risk of disclosure or unauthorised access.
"Due to the security measures on our website, your information cannot be found or viewed by anyone else as it was immediately and permanently destroyed.
"We would like to apologise again to anyone who submitted details to the Inquiry during this time and to ask you to please resubmit your information through the online form.